What is the difference between a Dietitian and “Nutritionist”?

Dietitians must earn a bachelor’s degree with coursework approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, complete an accredited, supervised practice program at a healthcare facility, community agency, foodservice corporation, pass a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration, and complete annual continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration.

In the US, the title “nutritionist” is not as regulated as “dietitian,” and tends to have a broader, more general meaning. The title is not generally protected, meaning that it can be used by anyone, unlike “doctor”, for instance, which requires proof of qualifications. Nutritionists typically do not have any professional training, and therefore, should not be involved in the diagnosis and treatment of any diseases.

Do you take insurance?

I do not bill insurance directly and payment is due at the time of service. I do provide documentation called a superbill with proper coding that you can submit to your insurance for possible reimbursement. In the case that you’d like me to give you a superbill, you must provide a physician referral with your nutrition-related medical diagnosis that I can keep on file.

 Can family members come?

Absolutely. Having a support system is a big part of making lifestyle changes. If they would also like customized plans, I will include discounted pricing.

I’m traveling or will be out of town – can I still book a program?

Yes! I never want anyone’s schedule to stand in the way of getting the results they want for their life, so if you are committed to a program, I am committed to finding the best time for us to meet or connect each week.