Chances are this is not going to be a weeknight staple for you unless you are on Deadliest Catch or are trying to get extra Costco points.
BUT I decided to post this recipe because sometimes you need a special meal and crab is my FAVORITE. If you haven’t tried it, you need to put it on your food bucket list and no the wimpy little crab legs at casinos and buffets do not count.
It’s easy, quick and the richest flavor as far as under the sea proteins go.The crab is already cooked so that speeds things up too.Dip it in butter and a little lemon, have some veggies on the side and you’ve got a gourmet meal. The secret for crab is to buy Alaskan King crab and use Zatarain’s crab boil with extra lemon. For the asparagus I tried a new pesto, you can use whatever kind you like.
- King crabs are mainly found in Bristol Bay and in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.
- King crab is one of the most valuable seafood products harvested in the U.S. In 2009, the U.S. catch of 22.3 million pounds had a dockside value of over $86 million. DANG!
- The largest king crab on record had a leg span of nearly 5-feet across.
Crab: All crab species are low in fat and a good source of protein. Like other marine species, crabs are rich in minerals like selenium, omega 3s and other nutrients.
Green Beans: Good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.
Alaska King Crab Dinner
- 2 Cups Green Beans
- 2 Tbsp Pesto
- 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 5-6 Small Potatoes
- 1-1 1/2 lbs Crab
- 1 Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Packet Crab Boil
- 3 Tbsp Butter Could Use Smart Balance or Olive Oil Based Butter
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Green Beans
- Add green beans to large pan, heat on medium-high. Add pesto and red pepper flakes. Cook 15-20 minutes.
- Bring Medium pot of water to a boil. Boil potatoes 15-20 minutes. Added 1/4 tsp of pesto after cutting each potato in half.
- Bring LARGE pot of water to a boil. Add lemon juice, salt, crab packet and crab. Boil for 10 minutes.
Butter Dipping Sauce
- In small dishes melt butter, add lemon juice and garlic powder. Mix together.