Okay, I’m not gonna lie, I’m really proud of this burrito makeover.
Where I live breakfast burritos are a hot breakfast item. I mean why wouldn’t they be? Burritos are delicious, portable and filling. My mission with this recipe was to use all whole foods and add another easy option to the breakfast menu.
What’s also amazing about these burritos, is that you can freeze them! Use some wax paper to wrap them up individually and toss them in a freezer ziplock bag. I guarantee this breakfast will make Monday morning way better. So put down the sugary cereal and give these a try.
Eggs: are packed with nutrients, and even though they contain fat, they can be a healthy part of a balanced diet. The combination of fats and protein in eggs makes them both filling and satisfying—there are 5 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein and 78 calories in a hard-boiled egg.
Avocado: has nearly 20 vitamins, minerals, and key nutrients! It’s also full of heart healthy fats and a great source of potassium.
Salsa: great way to flavor foods without the added calories and not to mention you get extra servings of veggies and micronutrients!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped chives
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1/3 cup black beans (optional)
- 1/4 avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 tomatoes, diced (2 cups ish)
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (or to taste)
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and chives, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, cook bacon until desired crispiness.
- While bacon cooking, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter. Once pan is completely coated, add the egg mixture. Tilt pan back and forth to make sure it’s completely coated, place pan lid on top of pan, then let cook, 2 minutes. Once you can move egg back and forth, carefully flip and cook 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a plate and top with bacon, avocado, and salsa. Roll up into a burrito and serve.
- Chop and dice all ingredients, mix together in medium bowl
- Make extra to use as topping for salads, fish, dips, etc.