You heard me. This buffalo chicken sweet potato recipe is super saucey and hearty. I’m obsessed.
Made with whole ingredients, it puts a healthy spin on the classic American buffalo chicken wings. Sneaking in those extra veggies makes it full of fiber and nutrient dense. Arugula, celery, carrots, garlic and onion take the buffalo flavor to a whole other level.
I would recommend saving this recipe for the weekend when you’re watching a game or have a little extra time to sit down and enjoy it! This one will make the whole family and your friends happy. The leftovers are great for lunches too. If you’re taking an hour to make the meal, you might as well make a few extra to have later.
And can we just talk about the dressing for a minute? SO GOOD. I make extra to use for dipping veggie snacks in. The dressing and vegetable slices could also be a great appetizer or used as dressing on a salad.
This meal is flavorful and versatile. You could make some of the components separately to mix with other favorite recipes. Throw the buffalo chicken on a salad or sandwich. Make just the baked potato with the dressing as a side. Keep meals saucey and spicy!
Sweet Potatoes: root veggie high in fiber, vitamin A and C
Arugula: vitamin A and K, great green leafy veggie with a peppery taste
Greek Yogurt: Excellent source of calcium, potassium, protein, zinc, and vitamins B6 and B12
Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch Pepper
- Pinch Garlic Powder
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Buffalo Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tsp White Vinegar
- 1 Cup Celery Diced
- 3 Carrots Shredded
- 1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt Can use any plain yogurt (almond, soy)
- 1/4 Cup Milk Unflavored
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Onions Diced-Optional
4 Cups Arugula
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rub outside of potato with oil and sprinkle with pepper. and garlic. Poke potatoes with fork and place on foiled pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cook the chicken breasts with buffalo sauce, oil, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and white vinegar to a simmer in a pan. Cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Next start on the dressing. Combine all ingredients into bowl.
- Then after 25 minutes, shred the chicken breasts with a fork and add the celery and carrots to the pan. Cook on medium heat for 10 more minutes.
- Split potatoes and stuff with chicken mix and dressing! Lay on bead of arugula.