Who needs to switch up their Taco Tuesday game?
This taco soup is easy, delicious and full of flavor. I made sure to add some extra veggies and left some room for tortilla chips. YUM! Ya, tacos are quick but it’s pretty awesome coming home to a crockpot full of taco soup. Your house will smell like it’s ready for a fiesta! Invite the neighbors over or meal prep the leftovers for lunches. It’s made with simple whole ingredients and is always a crowd pleaser. You probably have most of the ingredients on hand.
So many of my clients worry about eating out at Mexican restaurants but I am here to tell you, Mexican food can be healthy!
It has definitely gotten some negative publicity…I mean there are a lot of fried options and typically there’s way too many carbs topped with sour cream, cheese, high calorie sauces, etc. but my mission is to come up with healthier alternatives with the same great taste and flavor.
Because, who could live without Mexican food?
Don’t be intimidated by the homemade seasoning, you throw all the spices in at once and it’s no big deal. If you’re looking to reduce your sodium intake (which most of us are), give it a try. It cheaper to buy your own spices vs. the pre-made packets and usually better for you. Cumin, chili powder and green chilis are great ingredients to add Mexican flavor foods without added fat, calories and sugar.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 8 oz can Tomato Sauce Low-Sodium
- 1 16 oz can Hot Chili Beans (or kidney, black or pinto beans)
- 2 4 oz cans Green Chilis
- 1 10 oz can Diced Tomatoes Low-sodium
- 2 Medium Onions
- 3 Breasts Chicken
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- Corn Tortilla Chips
- Combine seasonings in small bowl (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, paprika, salt and pepper). Mix together.
- For the crockpot: combine tomato sauce, beans, tomatoes, green chilis, onion and homemade taco seasoning. Stir together ingredients. Submerge the chicken and cover it.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours. About 30 minutes before, remove chicken and shred it. Add chicken back in and stir together.
- Serve, top with tortilla and avocado!