What does healthyish even mean? Well, to me, it’s a food or bevie that is still a treat, however I used less processed sugar and threw in some nutrient dense ingredients (whole wheat flour, applesauce, bananas, collagen and walnuts)!
And…OMG this recipe smells amazing. The bread turned out MOIST and delicious. Yes, I used the word moist, because the thesaurus didn’t give me any other options. Damp just doesn’t work.
I consider this recipe a healthier alternative to a few other sweet breakfast treats like donuts, pastries, croissants etc. If you pair with a veggie omelette for some protein and veggies, you’ve got a balanced plate!
Bananas- Good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin B6! I love replacing some of the sugar with bananas, using fruit is a great alternative in baking.
Sugar 2.0 with probiotic– The game-changing Sugar 2.0 is a natural, gluten-free, non-gmo cane sugar product, has debuted a second product, Sugar 2.0 + Probiotics. Both products contain half the sugar and a third fewer calories than regular sugar, along with soluble fiber.
Walnuts- excellent source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 essential fatty acids, in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). They are also rich in antioxidants, including being a very good source of manganese and copper.
Collagen- I love unflavored collagen peptides for an extra source of amino acids and protein. It easily blends into baked goods. I use Vital Proteins.
- 3/4 Cup White Flour
- 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Sugar 2.0 or sugar of choice
- 3 Overripe Bananas
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (Mini chips work best)
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts Optional
- 2 Scoops Collagen Optional
- Turn oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a bread pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and brown sugar. Add the bananas, applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix together. Pour the batter into the bread pan.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes (check with toothpick). Let bread cool for 20 minutes. Cut into 12 slices to serve.
Things You Might Need
The Final Product