Spaghetti Squash Style
Is spaghetti night a routine weeknight meal at your house? This recipe is a simple and flavorful way to switch it up from the ol’ hamburger meat sauce. Seafood including calamari, shrimp, scallops and mussels are protein sources people tend to forget about! Change things up, instead of ground beef and try adding different protein options to your diet.
Seafood Mariana is a classic, easy seafood pasta made using a mix: prawns, shrimp, calamari, and mussels tossed through a simple, tasty tomato sauce. Serve it right out of the pan either on pasta or squash and it’s a great way to spice things up. The oregano and red pepper give it a delicious Italian flavor and smell.
Seafood: is nutrient-rich, serves as a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals and is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Squash: Pasta and squash both offer a variety of nutrients. I enjoy using the spaghetti squash for the texture, fiber, vitamins, minerals and fresh taste! Not to mention, it is lower in carbohydrates! To balance it out I’ll enjoy a glass of wine.
- 1 Medium Spaghetti SquashOr pasta of choice (approx 3-4 cups)!
Seafood and Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Shrimp
- 1/2 Cup Mussels
- 1/2 Cup Scallops
- 1/2 Cup Calamari
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 3/4 Cup Diced Onion
- 2 1/2 Cup Tomato Paste
- 4 Tbsp Oregano
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 3/4 Cup White Wine
- 1 Tsp Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Cut squash into quarters. Fill large glass bowl 3/4 with water. Place quarter of squash facedown in bowl. Microwave each piece for 7 minutes or until soft. Scrape squash into bowl. Or use pasta, cook by following box directions.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil into large pan on high heat. Add shrimp, mussels, and scallops, cook for one minute, then add calamari for additional 30 seconds. Remove seafood, place in bowl.
- Add additional 1 tbsp of oil, garlic and onions to pan and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add white wine, simmer for 5 minutes. Drink a glass! Add tomato paste, oregano, parsley and sugar.
- Combine everything into large saucepan and enjoy!