Intimidated by replacing pasta with squash? I was too…
This is a good recipe to give it a try. It’s one of my favorite simple spaghetti squash dishes made with whole foods! It’s a classic Italian flavored meal with a healthy twist and has less processed ingredients. If you like spaghetti, you won’t miss the pasta with this easy hearty recipe.
Squash: although pasta still has a special place in my heart, replacing it with squash gets you some extra fiber and antioxidants! It’s also a lower carb options (about 150 calories and 35 grams of carbs per serving). A cup of spaghetti squash is only about 42 calories! If you’re quantity person, this option is for you! It fills up the plate and your stomach as a nutrient dense ingredient.
Broccoli: is a nutrient packed veggie that is low in calories. Just one cup of broccoli provides over 100 percent of your daily need for vitamin C and vitamin K and is also a good source of vitamin A, folate, and potassium.
Deer: contains much less saturated fat than beef and slightly more protein. We use wild game at my house because I like to know where my meat comes from and I prefer the flavor:)
Simple Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Large Onions Diced
- 4 Cups Broccoli Chopped
- 1 1/2 lb Ground Deer Any ground meat works!
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- 2 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce Optional
- Parmesan Cheese Optional Topping
- Cut squash into fourths. Put one fourth at a time, face down in a microwavable bowl, half full with water. Microwave each fourth for 6 minutes.
- Scrape out squash with a fork into large pan. Add 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Add 1 Tbsp garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Mix together on low heat.
- In second medium sized pan sauté broccoli and onion in 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- In third large pan, cook ground meat with paprika, garlic, pepper, onion powder until brown.