Chinese BBQ meets stuffed squash.
This garlic hoisin acorn squash recipe is a flavor mix between Chinese and BBQ. So. Good. The meat stuffing and squash are complimented by a sweet and salty glaze, and it really changes things up! Typically with acorn squash, I go with the savory ingredients but the tangy hoisin glaze was surprisingly delicious.
I used a ton of garlic so feel free to reduce the amount. Hoisin is a rich flavor. It’s a mixture of soybeans, garlic, chile peppers and various spices. If this is your first time using it, take it easy because you can always add more or if you go overboard dilute with oil, vinegar, soy sauce or water.
Acorn squash is a great source of antioxidants, beta carotene, vitamin C, potassium and fiber. I love this type of squash because it is so simple to cook! After baking it, the squash can be easily scraped out and enjoyed with the stuffing. For the stuffing I used pheasant meat but any poultry, tofu, shredded pork or steak could work.
Stuffed Garlic Hoison Squash
- 2 Acorn Squash
- 1 lb Poultry I used pheasant but chicken and turkey work!
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Cups Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tsp Garlic Chili Paste
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic
- 6 Diced Scallions
- 1 Head Broccoli
- 2 Cups Brussel Sprouts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut acorn squash in half. Rub 1/2 Tbsp olive oil around rim of squash. Put in oven for 30 minutes.
- In large saucepan on medium heat, cook poultry with 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add spinach. Cook 3-4 minutes or until poultry done.
- In small bowl mix together hoisin, soy sauce, vinegar, chili paste, garlic and scallions. Add to medium sauce pan, mix together.
- Pull squash out of oven. Lightly rub rim of squash with hoisin squash. Cook 10-15 minutes or until squash soft. Then adding poultry mix.
Roasted Veggies (roast on the pan with squash)
- Chop veggies, rub with olive oil, add spices.
- Roast 20 minutes in the oven at 400 F with squash.